Forum » The Brewery » NES and SNES homebrew games written in C

NES and SNES homebrew games written in C

running list

Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:46:55 PM 

Shiru (0)
(Shiru Shiru)
< Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
To those who are curious which recent homebrew NES and SNES games has been written in C, either fully (sans a low level library) or partially, commercial or free, with or without source code available, here is a list. All NES ones made with the CC65 compiler, mostly with the neslib. All SNES ones made with tcc-816, with PVSnesLib or custom code.

Some games marked as coming soon, they're in the list because I know they're done and is on their way to the public release. I didn't include some WIP projects I know, because it is not clear if they will be ever done, and if they'll remain in C (like Rick Dangerous port than never has been released, or Justin Beaver that reportedly has been fully rewritten from scratch two times).

NES:

Alter Ego - download, source
BASIC Championship Wrestling - download or buy
Beerslinger - buy
Blow 'em Out - buy
Chase - download (w/source)
Cheril The Goddess
City Trouble - buy from Mega Cat Studios
Crypto - link to download and source, homepage
FlappyBird - link to download and source
Germ Squashers - buy from 8bit Evolution
Gorodki - coming soon from Piko Interactive
Invaders Must Die - link to download and source
Jet-Paco - link to download and source
Lala The Magical - link to download and source
Log Jammers - coming soon from Mega Cat Studios
Mine Shaft - download (no source)
MultiDude - download (no source)
Perfect Pair - was sold by Retroscribe
Russian Roulette - download (w/source)
Quest Forge: By Order of Kings - buy from Piko
Sgt. Helmet Training Day - link to download and source
Sinking Feeling
Sir Ababol - link to download and source
Snakky - pre-order from Piko
SplatooD - link to download and source (possibly unfinished)
Super Painter - download (no source)
Super Uwol - coming soon from 1985 Alternativo
Wit.nes - download (a 'demo' version)
Wǒ Xiang Niào Niào
Yun - link to download and source
Zombiejack - coming soon from 8bit Evolution
Zooming Secretary - download, source

SNES:

2048 - link to download
Blow 'em Out - SNES version of the NES game
Classic Kong (also Thor's Quest) - link to download and source
Christmas Craze - download, source
Creepy Bird - buy from Piko
Frappy SNES - can't find any good link other than that
Hind Strike - buy from Piko
Mazezam Challenge - download, buy from Piko
Super Zombiejack - coming soon from Mega Cat Studios
Uwol: Quest For Money - download, buy from Piko

Edited: 03/11/2017 at 10:18 AM by Shiru

Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:42:16 PM 
vladictivo (112)

(Vladi )
< Lolo Lord >
Mexico
Crypto looks awesome!
-------------------------
  Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 06:37:18 AM 

erac (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Russian Roulette (open source): http://www.romhacking.net/homebre...

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:09:54 AM 
arch_8ngel (68)

(Nathan ?)
< Mario >
Virginia
Thanks for the list! Quite a few in there that I had no idea were done via C.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 11:30:57 AM 
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Awesome, thank you for sharing this!!

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:05:31 PM 
KHAN Games (89)

(Kevin Hanley)
< Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Thanks for the list! Quite a few in there that I had no idea were done via C.

Same! I had no idea Quest Forge was written in C.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:26:44 AM 

Shiru (0)
(Shiru Shiru)
< Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
Yes, I've seen the source code for Quest Forge, and not only it is written in C, there is not a single assembly code line in the game code. Really cool. Another cool examples of what could be achieved on the NES without programming in assembly code is Sir Ababol and Lala The Magical, which are quite solid scrolling platformers. I often see discussions all around the net how C on the NES/SNES is not possible, not usable, inefficient, or just shouldn't be used (that's a crazy one), and so on. Too bad that many just repeat these words without actually doing research, or blindly believe them and don't even consider this as an option, while in reality C on those consoles is a viable entry- to mid- level solution, it's been around for years now, it works, brings good results, and is a great help actually.

Another thing to mention is that there are discussions how bad C language maps to the 6502 architecture, and how far from ideal cc65 is, up to the point that some say they'd use a C compiler on the NES if only it would be (much) better than cc65. That's all true, however, if you compare, say cc65 on 6502 @ 1.79 MHz, SDCC on Z80 @ 3.5 MHz, tcc-816 on 65816 @ 3.58 MHz, you'll see that c65-compiled code on the slowest and least suitable CPU of the three shows best performance in many cases. Not because of some magic, of course, that's just shows that other compilers out there even farther from being ideal - yet still usable.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:56:57 AM 
Pendragonx (5)

(Evan )
< Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
bookmarked .. Thanks for this!

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:49:23 AM 

Final Theory (2)
(Final Theory)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
The main argument that I hear regarding this issue is that people claim that if its written in assembly then you are directly talking to the processor and anything else like C is not as efficient and thus isn't a good language to program in.

Edited: 12/13/2016 at 01:36 AM by Final Theory

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:23:22 AM 

Shiru (0)
(Shiru Shiru)
< Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
Directly talking to processor (machine code or assembler) isn't even an language. So basically this means any programming language is bad language. That totally makes no sense.

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:56:05 AM 
arch_8ngel (68)

(Nathan ?)
< Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: GradualGames

I didn't expect anybody to care. Sorry I seem to have caused offense. I suppose my main intent by sharing my personal thoughts are: There may be newcomers to the scene who, like me, do not have an entirely engineer-like mind. If they see someone like me around, who has successfully built games, but who doesn't quite think like an engineer, they may feel affirmed like: "Ah, if this guy can do it, I can do it too."

Anyway, like I said, I could not have presented my thoughts in a more humble fashion. People can take it or leave it. I am not even "arguing" anything. By putting my thoughts out there I'm simply hoping to provide affirmation to similar minds, who may feel intimidated should they not see there are (odd) minds like mine in the scene. Maybe you don't see that as useful, but maybe somebody who comes along will? Who knows. In the end I did not mean to offend anybody, and am glad C is a part of this scene and helping it grow.
I suspect some of his offense to your initial comments stems from the fact that THIS THREAD is not the place to have that discussion, especially when you have shared these exact thoughts elsewhere.

Shiru did me (I'll lay claim, since I asked the explicit question in the other recent thread    ) a favor, by compiling a nice list with links of NES projects in C.

Other than "attaboys"/"thanks" and questions about those specific projects (or additions of projects unknown to Shiru), this isn't really a thread for other spur discussions about the merits of C vs the merits of ASM...

(that is, posts of "thanks!" are easy to scroll past and aren't really clutter in the thread, actual questions about anything posted are directly pertinent to the thread, but any ASM related discussion is simply out-of-place in THIS specific thread, and may, at some point, may it a pain-in-the-ass to navigate to find answers to any on-topic questions that arise)

Edited: 12/12/2016 at 10:57 AM by arch_8ngel

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:57:28 AM 
GradualGames (39)

(Derek Andrews)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I suspect you are right. I apologize. I will delete the contents of my posts. Moderators feel free to delete my posts in this thread, as they did not add anything pertinent.
Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 12/12/2016 at 11:00 AM by GradualGames

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:47:22 AM 
KHAN Games (89)

(Kevin Hanley)
< Master Higgins >
Florida
Let's get back on track here.   I think this list of games is awesome. Thanks for making the thread, Shiru.

edit: I cleaned things up a bit. Hope that's okay!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 12/12/2016 at 12:20 PM by KHAN Games

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 01:23:32 PM 
Fleck586 (153)

(Jason Fleck)
< Lolo Lord >
Missouri
My Powerpak says "Thank you!"
"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 02:37:01 PM 
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
Loxx O))) (19)

(Fat Man Kraid)
< Bowser >
Washington
Actually, I have a question about a particular game listed (and arch said this may be the place to direct questions?). Does anyone know about SplatooD as for updates or how the project ended? It's something I'm very interested in, but it seems as though work on it was halted before a complete working version was made? Essentially, I'm just curious if it will ever be completed.

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:27:37 PM 

Shiru (0)
(Shiru Shiru)
< Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
So SplatooD is not a finished project? I'm not familiar with the game, didn't know what to expect, seemed to be one of the smaller games.

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:38:39 PM 
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
Loxx O))) (19)

(Fat Man Kraid)
< Bowser >
Washington
From what I briefly played, the splatroller works but guns are unusable. I played a few different levels and those seem to be working. I also noticed the character sprites were animated instead of static. Those are the three things I've heard that don't work on certain versions... so what you have posted is the most functional from what I can find.

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:24:58 PM 
dustmop (0)
(dusty mop)
< Cherub >
New York
Just noticed this thread. I released The Wit.nes earlier this year, it's a completely free NES remake of "The Witness", written in C. ROM is available at https://dustmop.itch.io/the-witne...

©2019 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use